Thursday, May 5, 2011

Red and Gold Gingersnap Creations Challenge

Where has the time gone? It's been almost three weeks since my last post.   Yikes!  In my defense, I got my first ever stamp order from Papertrey Ink, and for me, new stamps equals 0 creations because I spend all my time touching and ooohing and fondling and aaahing and rearranging all my other stamp sets and very little time actually stamping.

But! I did manage to get photos of this this beastie.  Here's my Red & Gold color challenge for Gingersnap Creations.  I used several papers/labels that I purchased from Collage Stuff (definitely check out her page - she has some cool swaps going on).  

I painted a slide mailer gold and layered my Asian papers, added a few punched flowers, a charm and some gold embossing powder.  The spine is covered in red velvet ribbon (which you handily can't see) and accented with a takeout chopstick from a local eatery.  I simply cut it down to size with my husband's bolt cutters and then sanded the end until I was happy.  Distress ink aged it nicely and I wrapped it in some gold cord.  I had a rough time getting it to stick to the spine so I ended up having to use hot glue.    

Inside are some more papers that I accented with Asian labels, a crackle stamp, clear embossing powder, more distress ink and some plastic slides.  The labels were glossy and didn't really take the distressing ink that way I would have liked.  I should have distressed first and then embossed.

I'm unsuprisingly incapable of not adding black to red, so I snuck in some black fibers and ivory beads with my gold and red tassels.  


As always, thanks for stopping by and enjoy!

12 comments:

Michele Oliver said...

Love it, very different

Sharon said...

This is wonderful - great creation! Love the slide mailer adn the way you have decorated the slides.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- this is so cool! I love the sliders and love the touch of black too! The Patterned paper is perfect- wonderful project!

Debi said...

this looks fab Chris x

Netty said...

Terrific use of a slide mailer and love how you've designed it. Thank you for joining in with us at Gingersnaps. Annette x

Alexa said...

All your hard work was definitely worth it - this is beautiful. Glad you joined us at Gingersnap Creations.

Jeanie Callaghan said...

This is just wonderful! What a fabulous project.

Jingle said...

This is really a wonderful piece!

Suze Bain said...

Wow, what a wonderful piece of art. Fab images and techniques. x

Lynn Stevens said...

WOW, this is stunning!!!
Lynn

Beverly Gotthardt said...

Wow, you totally rocked this challenge. So many stunning details.

Zuzu's Blog said...

really lovely slide mailer. love the outside. it just yells out "oriental". nice job
Z x